Recently, men have been getting me down. I’ve become prematurely excited about multiple boys and they’ve let me down. Time and time again. And I’ve cried more recently than I have in years (I am not a crier).
So in a bid to STOP BEING PATHETIC AND GET A GRIP, I’ve created a ‘Power Playlist’ on my iPhone. We all know how music can affect our moods, and being sad is not a mood I enjoy, particularly as I am a bubbly person and eternally happy. It’s full of all those songs I already have on my phone that, when they come on in the car, I am singing at the top of my lungs and feel indestructible and like no-one can dampen my fabulousness.
Here’s what’s on my Power Playlist:
- Breathe ft Sean Paul – Blu Catrell. A total banger. This relationship isn’t working, let’s call it quits.
- Mir A Nero (Original Mix) – Michel Cleis. A jolly Spanish tune; just want to dance every time I hear it.
- Hiding – Icarus. “I’ll find somebody better than you.” Enough said.
- Ghosts – Higher Self ft Lauren Mason. You’re no longer causing me agro and I no longer think about you. Hurrah.
- Beautiful Liar (Freemasons Dance Remix) – Beyonce and Shakira. Two wonderful women. Girl power all around. You are stunning, but a dick.
- Together – Tourist. Despite this reminding me of my ex, and it’s about fancying someone, it’s such a SUPER song and I have this memory of hearing it, seeing my ex for the first time, looking and feeling fabulous and just loving life. So it’s on here because it’s a feel-good song. And it reminds me that I am fabulous and men do fancy me.
- True Colours (Ali Emm Remix) – Sammy Porter ft Grace Fleary. “Now I can see your true, true colours. And that don’t work for me.” Delightful lyrics. Likewise: “And I will discover, that this [by ‘this’ she means the break up] is better for me.”
- The Greatest ft Kendrick Lamar – Sia. The ULTIMATE power song.
- Sorry ft Lisa Pac – Urban Contact. Female cover of JB’s ‘Sorry’. So much better than the original. I like to imagine my ex is singing it to me (yes, it’s a female singer, but oh well) and I say, ‘Yep, it’s too late. Piss off.’
- Elastic Heart – Sia. Oh Sia. You are a babe.
- There is Hope – Zoo Brazil ft Rasmus Kellerman. Cracking song all around.
- Golden Ticket – Highasakite. I heard this straight after I broke up with my ex (round one). It was a good decision to leave.
- Set Fire to the Rain (Thomas Gold Remix) – Adele. Powerful woman. Reminds me of fun uni times.
- Trust – Kungs. Another song that reminds me of my ex because we heard it together and listened to it all the time, but it’s about not wanting to wake up and repeat another day full of arguing. I hear ya.
- It Ain’t Me – Kygo and Selena Gomez. This came out at exactly the same time I broke up with my ex (round two). “You were staying out all night and I had enough … I know I won’t be home and you’ll be on your own”. Not sticking around to deal with your shit. Farewell, my friend.
- Dangerous Woman – Ariana Grande. It’s in the name.
- You Don’t Know Me Now – Mike Mago & Elderbrook. Brilliant house song.
- Not Above Love – Aluna George. I have a weird relationship with this song. When my ex and I were trying to be friends (post round one, prior to round two), he played this to me and I thought it was fab. Whenever I hear it, I feel empowered because “I’m not above love, I just run out of air” – round one was too exhausting in the end. But also it reminds me of that high of being with someone and feeling so totally in lust with them and I miss that sometimes.
- Bad Karma – RIVRS. 100% this man: Fuckboy F******.
- Prayer in C (Robin Schulz Remix) – Lilly Wood & The Prick. Once again, about an arsehole of a man.
- Just – Bicep. Fantastic house song. Shortly after round one ended, I went to my sister’s house party and I was surrounded by friends and my sisters and lots of fun. Top night. Top tune.
- Maze – Aria. “Told you I was sick of your games.”
(22 songs, 1 hour 39 minutes; plenty to cheer me up).
Everyone needs a ‘power playlist’