At the suggestion of a friend, I’ve approached Tinder slightly differently.
Her suggestion: start the conversation with:
- ‘Tell me something interesting’
I’m pretty ruthless on Tinder and regularly delete people who don’t talk. So of the 18 matches I currently had going, I hadn’t begun talking to about 11 of them. Having been out for many cocktails with the aforementioned friend, I took the plunge.
All 11 new matches had the opening line: ‘Tell me something interesting’ pop up on their phones.
48 hours later and the results were mixed:
- 5 guys were silent. Clearly very boring with nothing noteworthy to share (naturally, soon to be deleted).
- 1 told me what I already knew from his profile: eye colour and profession and ‘that’s pretty much it’…riveting.
- 1 had a great story about how he got tyre marks on his bed (definitely a winner).
- And the other 4 responded with cheesy flattery.
This was an eye-opening experience.
- 55% of guys on Tinder are pretty dull.
- 9% of guys are interesting.
- 36% of guys are just interested in getting in girls’ knickers.
So only go on Tinder if:
a) you like boring men
or b) you’re dying for a shag.