Recently, men have been getting me down. I’ve become prematurely excited about multiple boys and then felt disappointed.
So in a bid to get a grip and feel more like myself again, I’ve created a Power Playlist on my iPhone. We all know how music can affect our moods, and being sad is not a mood I enjoy, particularly as I am a bubbly person and eternally happy. It’s full of all those songs I already have on my phone that, when they come on in the car, I am singing at the top of my lungs and feel like no one can dampen my fabulousness.
Here’s what’s on my Power Playlist:
- Breathe ft. Sean Paul – Blu Cantrell. A total banger. This relationship isn’t working, let’s call it quits.
- Mir A Nero (Original Mix) – Michel Cleis. A jolly Spanish tune; I just want to dance every time I hear it.
- Hiding – Icarus. “I’ll find somebody better than you.”
- Ghosts – Higher Self ft. Lauren Mason. You’re no longer causing me stress and I no longer think about you. Hooray.
- Beautiful Liar (Freemasons Dance Remix) – Beyonce and Shakira. Two wonderful women. Girl power all around. You may be stunning, but you’re not a nice man.
- Together – Tourist. Despite this reminding me of my ex, and it’s about fancying someone, it’s such a super song and I have this memory of hearing it, seeing my ex for the first time, looking and feeling fabulous and just loving life. So it’s on here because it’s a feel-good song.
- True Colours (Ali Emm Remix) – Sammy Porter ft Grace Fleary. “Now I can see your true, true colours. And that don’t work for me.” Delightful lyrics. Likewise: “And I will discover, that this [by ‘this’ she means the break up] is better for me.”
- The Greatest ft Kendrick Lamar – Sia. The ultimate power song.
- Sorry ft. Lisa Pac – Urban Contact. Female cover of Justin Beiber’s song “Sorry”. So much better than the original.
- Elastic Heart – Sia. Oh, Sia. You are a babe.
- There is Hope – Zoo Brazil ft. Rasmus Kellerman. A cracking song.
- Golden Ticket – Highasakite. I heard this straight after I broke up with my ex (for the first time). It was a good decision to leave.
- Set Fire to the Rain (Thomas Gold Remix) – Adele. What a powerful woman. This song reminds me of fun times at university.
- Trust – Kungs. Another song that reminds me of my ex because we heard it together and listened to it all the time, but it’s about not wanting to wake up and repeat another day full of arguing.
- It Ain’t Me – Kygo and Selena Gomez. This came out at exactly the same time I broke up with my ex (for the second time). “You were staying out all night and I had enough … I know I won’t be home and you’ll be on your own”. Not sticking around to deal with your shit. Farewell.
- Dangerous Woman – Ariana Grande. Powerful woman vibes.
- You Don’t Know Me Now – Mike Mago & Elderbrook. Brilliant house song.
- Not Above Love – Aluna George. I have a weird relationship with this song. When my ex and I were trying to be friends (post round one, prior to round two), he played this to me and I thought it was fantastic. Whenever I hear it, I feel empowered because “I’m not above love, I just run out of air” – round one was too exhausting in the end. But also it reminds me of that high of being with someone and feeling so totally in lust with them and I miss that sometimes.
- Bad Karma – RIVRS. For all the fuckboys.
- Prayer in C (Robin Schulz Remix) – Lilly Wood & The Prick. Once again, about a man being a dick.
- Just – Bicep. Fantastic house song. Shortly after round one with the ex ended, I went to a party at my sister’s and I was surrounded by my sisters, friends and good music.
Everyone needs a ‘power playlist’.