A Stranger’s Judgements

Last night, I took a cab home.

The meter started at £2.20.  I was making small talk with the driver.  He asked how my night was, what I’d been doing and who I’d been with.  I asked how his night was.

By £4.10 he was asking about my social life, whether I was out with my boyfriend.  “No – I don’t have a boyfriend,” I said.

“Oh, if I could turn back time…”

I look awkwardly out of the window.

By £6.70 I was saying how I’m only 24, progressing through my career as a teacher and enjoying spending time with my friends.  Then the fare soared (metaphorically, of course).  He ranted on about how being 24 is the perfect age to get married and start a family.

Don’t focus on your career; it should take up 30% of your time and your real life should take up the remaining 70%.

As we approached the end of my road, I was batting off his comments by advocating my housemate-filled life.

At £8.80 he said, “Housemates are a waste of time.”

I handed him a tenner and waited for my £1 change.  That cab drive definitely cost me more than £9.

Photo by Daniel Monteiro on Unsplash.

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Mrs D says:

    I hope you told him to stop giving out advice if he is so misinformed 😉


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s